I have been thinking about how often people take things for granted. How we sometimes focus on the negative in our lives and we forget about all the good things. Somehow we’ve learned to believe that we need material items to be happy. So we go to work, hoping to make lots of money so we can buy things we want. We believe that these items will help us feel more fulfilled or make us feel that we matter; proving our worth to the world.
Since I quit my job and taken a pay cut, my husband put me on a budget. At first I thought, “what am I going to do?” Then I realized that I don’t need much. I have so much already and more than what money can buy. I started to think about all of the wonderful things in my life and having done so, I feel more content, more happy, and more sure that I am exactly where I need to be in life.
We don’t need to buy things to make our lives beautiful or joyous. We don’t need more glamorous items in our lives to find happiness and contentment. We can find these wonderful qualities in what’s already in front of us.
At times, I forget this. But in my best moments, I remember and my heart expands with more love for life and everyone around me.
In my mind, these things are perfect and are proof that we don’t need to buy anything to be happy, cool, excited, or content:
- A quiet morning walk with the dogs before sunrise
- A run outdoors with good friends
- A great cup of coffee
- Reading a book curled up on the couch
- A hug
- A yoga practice
- A delicious fruit smoothie
- Holding the door for someone
- A good workout
- Hot soup and good bread
- A song that gets you singing and/or dancing
- Fresh fallen snow
- The sound of the ocean
- Meeting a new friend
- A sunset
- Leaves changing colors
- A fire in the fireplace
- Cuddling with your significant other
- Sunday mornings in bed
- Spending time with friends
- A bite of mango
- Reflecting on life, blogging
- People laughing around you
- Imagining future possibilities
- Helping someone else
- Writing a note, email, or text to someone you care about
- Knowing that you love yourself