Despite all of my best efforts, I always end up falling asleep by 9:00pm, even if I am out with friends… you can find me dozing on their couch or dozing while resting my head on my hand at dinner. I just can’t stay up late and to be honest I don’t really want to. I am an early bird and find so much joy and satisfaction getting up early, even before the sun rises. My day starts around 4:00am and is pretty much nonstop until I fall asleep. Before most people wake up, I’ve had my coffee, done chores, walked my dogs, and gone for a run, yoga, and/or taken a CrossFit class. I love kick starting my day with a workout. Nothing like getting the blood pumping and endorphins flowing to get your day started right. I feel accomplished, productive, and ready to take on the world.
In the beginning, being an early bird impacted some my relationships, people always wanted me to go out or to hang later, but that’s just not me. I know myself well enough to know not to make plans “late” at night (aka after 7) because I am just too tired to do anything and would prefer to be home in bed. I like to eat dinner before 7pm and be in my bed by 9pm.
Over the years my husband, family, and friends have grown accustomed to my schedule and have begun to accept my what they call “craziness”. They know if the want to see me they’ll have to make plans during the daytime hours, because nighttime is my time to relax, unwind, and get a good night’s rest. I think everyone should be an early bird and I have a difficult time understanding how and why people can and would want to stay up late and then sleep in. I guess to each their own… but here are some reasons why I like being an early bird and think some people should give it a try….
- Less distractions, since most of the world is still asleep.
- You get to see the sunrise
- I get “me time”
- This is when I’m most awake and creative and when I feel I can get my best work done
- I feel like I’m able to get more out of my day
- I get to see more daylight
- I get as much done before lunch as what other people do all day
- There’s a certain energy that exists early in the morning, which helps you to see things in a new light.
- It gives me momentum for the rest of my day, while getting up late can make you more tired and lethargic
- I get to exercise
- Studies show that when you start your day making healthy decisions in the morning, you set the pace for the day. In fact, did you know that Northwestern University did a study that showed that night owls consumed nearly 250 more calories, twice as much fast food and half as many fruits and vegetables than their early bird counterparts.
- By the early evening, my work is done so, I have nothing else to do and can actually relax – with my hubby and dogs.
- Waking up early will allow you to ultimately sleep more soundly.
- You get to experience your whole life – the part of life you’ve been missing after sleeping in for so many years. So get up early and jump start your day… what are you waiting for?