Yoga is an ancient practice with origins stretching back thousands of years in India. It was designed as a way to help the yogi achieve a more positive outlook on life and a focused, more permanent sense of serenity and peace. Nowadays we also use yoga as a way to help build strength and increase our flexibility. If you think yoga might not be for you, I urge you to reconsider. I have practiced yoga for a long time now and could not be more grateful that I was introduced to the practice when I was because of all the amazing benefits it has given me. In fact, I love it and believe in it so much that I’ve decided to open my own studio.
Yoga’s benefits are available to everyone (really everyone)! You may need to find the style or teacher that suits you and your situation, but once you do, yoga has the capacity to change your life for the better. I swear!!!
Below are some of the many reasons why I think everyone should do yoga.
17 Reasons why you should start doing yoga in 2017!
- People of all shapes, sizes, ages and abilities can do yoga and adapt it to suit their individual needs.
- You can still do it when you’re nearly 100 years old.
- It’s a great workout. You can adapt the practice to your own speed and ability.
- It helps you become more in touch and aware within your body.
- It can help your breathing. A big part of yoga is the breathing exercises, or pranayama. As someone with asthma, it really helped me to breathe consciously.
- It can improve your posture and help you walk a little taller, especially if you’re hunched over at a computer all day.
- It improves mental health. Yoga is a great way to clear your mind, and alleviate stress.
- It’ll help improve your sleep. Yoga is an effective treatment because it addresses insomnia’s physical and psychological aspects.
- Sculpt muscles. Yoga uses the weight of your own body to build muscle mass and strength.
- It’s great for injury prevention. Flexible, well-stretched muscles will heal and recover more quickly after working out or getting strained.
- Yoga is a judgement free zone. Check your ego at the door and get on your mat. Do your best that day and know that our practice may look different everyday and that’s ok.
- It helps calm your mind. Yoga helps you to slow down and breathe. This leads to greater concentration as you work your way through each pose and creates a calmness that lasts the rest of the day.
- Yoga allows you to become more present in the moment. Put down your smartphone for 60-75 minutes and get on the mat. Let go of your day and settle in, it’s time to take care of you!
- It’ll push your limits. There are many types of yoga classes, some gentler than others, but when you find the class that matches your abilities (and pushes them), you’ll amp up your cardio and build whole-body lean muscle mass. Find a class with Power, Vinyasa, or Flow in the title, and you can skip the gym that day.
- The more you practice yoga, the better you become at accepting whatever life throws your way. Yoga can help you stay present and positive, even through the hard times.
- Yoga helps you to make better choices. Becoming healthier and experiencing all the benefits of yoga will make you more aware and able to choose things in life that support a positive journey.
- Yoga makes you feel better. It’s just that simple. It’s why so many people get hooked on yoga. You will always feel better after a yoga class.
Enough reasons for you to try it out?!?! Check out my new studio, Empower Yoga coming this winter! For information, please visit www.empoweryoganj.com or follow us on IG and FB!